Monday, May 13, 2013

Week 34

Oh wow.  Just writing "Week 34" gets me excited.  Why?
Because we do 36 weeks of school ... and we're on Week 34!  Yippee!

I must admit that the closer we get to the end of the year, the more I feel like skipping school.  Yes, I have spring fever.  I remember this feeling from my school days, and apparently age does nothing to mitigate the incredible urge to throw away the books.

So why not do that? Why not just stop?

Great questions.  And I'm sure for many people this would be fine. In fact, I know people for whom this is the approach to life.  But I'm not one to quit at the finish.  And the projects and lessons in the last two weeks are often the most fun and the ones that bring everything together.

I'm all for skipping meaningless, filler projects.  Or modifying to suit my needs.  But that's not what I'm talking about.  I am talking about seeing things through to the end.  I feel like finishing something "all the way" is a great lesson for the girls and provides a tremendous sense of accomplishment.  I never look back with happiness on something I almost finished (e.g., a baby quilt sitting in my sewing box).  But even when something was difficult and seemed hard, I always feel good if I see it through to the end (e.g., finishing a marathon). And so it is with our school year.

Plus, we're doing lots of cool stuff - and I'm excited to see how the girls do as we round the finish.

Cheers!

1 comment: