|Image from homeschool-rewards.com|
- My daughter is currently using OM7 Math. I've only graded her tests and reviews. She is receiving a B- (83%). Most of her mistakes are "sloppy errors" - I feel that if she weren't rushing to be finished with math (her least favorite subject) she'd easily have a B+/A- because she understands the concepts. Overall, I've been happy with OM7. I have nothing else with which to compare this level of math, but I'd say the style was a good fit.
- I own OM8 Math. I don't know for certain, but from the description I'm fairly sure this isn't either pre-algebra or algebra... what is it? Maybe it is an excellent program. I just can't tell. I can tell it's the same format we used this year, so I know what we'd be getting into and I know my DD liked the format.
- In the past, we've used Teaching Textbooks, which my kids all enjoyed. I've talked to some friends that used it this year with pre-algebra and algebra. They are happy for the most part. However, I'm not 100% sure this will be the right program for my DD12. She fought me tooth-and-nail when she used TT for 6th grade math.
- Last year I bookmarked Thinkwell. This year I read up on it, checked out the reviews, tried the sample lessons. It looks really good! However, no one I know IRL has used this. Not that that means the program isn't solid - I didn't know anyone that used either MBtP or OM and those are great programs. But I'd like to get a better feel for the program before signing up.
- My DD does not love math. She doesn't hate it, but I wouldn't say she's "math minded" or anything close. She needs clear explanations. She needs to have sufficient practice, but not be inundated with pages of worksheets (a la Saxon).
Oak Meadow Grade 8 vs. Teaching Textbooks (algebra) vs. Thinkwell (algebra)
Anyone out there have any advice or ideas? Anyone? :)