Friday, May 3, 2013

American Girl Doll Projects: Molly McIntire

Having led (and co-led for the first two years) an American Girl Doll book and craft club for the past three years, I have been feeling like I should really post our projects more frequently.  If I knew how to post the discussion questions I write each month I would do that as well, simply to save someone else the effort!  But alas, for now photos of the craft project will have to do.  Of course, there are only two meetings left in the year and I doubt I'll be doing this for a fourth year.  Better late than never!

This week our group is discussing A Light in the Cellar: A Molly Mystery.  It was tough to come up with a project, partly because as I approach the end of the third year I've done a LOT of AG projects and partly because this book didn't lend itself to an obvious project. At least not one that we haven't already done.  But I pressed the Easy Button and checked the Molly craft book out of the library.  Lo and behold, the perfect project: Scottie Bookmarks.  These projects must meet the financial requirement (cheap), my requirement (not be total junk), and the time requirement (be something I can feasibly complete with a dozen+ girls in 30 minutes or less).  Check, check, and check!

Additionally, with the discussion questions I also assigned the girls take-home projects.  There were three options, and my youngest (8-year-old)daughter chose to create a model of the manor house featured in the story.  I think this would be a great project for ANY book that has an interesting building.  It's constructed from card stock and tape.  She colored the sides with crayon and colored pencil, and outlined all prominent features with a Sharpie.  She also added some 3-D bushes with extra card stock.  I especially like how she has a light on in the cellar, as the title suggests there should be. 

It would be possible to go all out with something like this, but of course she waited until the night before. She did have plenty of help figuring out how to create this, but I believe now that we've been through the process once she will be able to do it again with less help (figuring out the triangles is tricky!).

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment