Monday, April 1, 2013

Same Question, Different Day...

As this academic year rounds the final corner, I've been thinking more and more about our plans for next year. Not so much the academic plans, but rather our extracurricular plans.  Some things are easy: swim team.  Some things are more challenging: everything else.  I have this same question every year - it's getting old.  At the same time, would I be a "real" homeschooler without this question? this uncertainty?  Of course, I'm kidding. I'm sure there are homeschoolers that don't question their plans and schedules.  I just don't think I'm one of them. In fact, I know I'm not.

One of the issues for me is that for three years I've lead or co-lead classes for homeschoolers.  Before that I organized park days, or organized group field trips, or lead homeschool girl scouts, or set up science classes  ... And even before my kids were school age I organized a cooperative "pre-school."  Basically, I'm feeling the need for a break from organizing and planning!  My dream solution would be a one-day-per-week drop-off program for homeschoolers that has elective-type classes or workshops.  It would also be free (or very cheap) - but still good quality! - because while in my dream world I could afford something like that, here on Earth I can't.  Oh, and I would love for it to only be 5, maybe 10, minutes from the house.

Another issue is that while I have enjoyed attending classes/etc for homeschoolers, I do not enjoy morning activities. I find that my kids focus best and work most efficiently before lunch, so I prefer to schedule classes, play dates, etc., after lunch. I have been able to find alternatives to what I've been doing, but they are all in the morning - and at least 30-40 minutes from my house.  Doesn't work.

I know I'll figure it out, and that no matter what we end up doing it will work out fine.  I just don't like the interim uncertainty. It's not fun.

AND. I do really wish my dream-world plan could happen ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment