Monday, September 17, 2012

Snippets from Week 2

Last week was our second week of school, and it completely flew by. As we're starting on week 3 today, I decided I want to include a snippet of our work from each week, especially as (ostensibly) the point of this blog is for me to have a record of our journey.  Because I did not plan on photos, I don't have pictures of some of the cool things we did last week. But going forward, I'll keep this "weekly snippet" in mind and be sure to snap 'evidence' of our doings. =)  I also find it hard to pick just one or two things for each girl from the week... I really wanted to get a picture of all of the craftiness going on last week (hemp jewelry, knitting a baby blanket, paper bracelets, duct tape wonders) but I don't have any so that will have to wait.  Here is what I did have photos (or records) of from our second week of homeschooling:

 Grade 3 ~ Cooking
My 3rd-grade daughter loves to cook and this little cookbook from Oak Meadow (this is a vintage copy) has very simple recipes that she can do without much help.  They almost seem too easy, but actually they teach valuable lessons in cutting techniques and using fine motor skills. She loves to help out in the kitchen, and being able to do this independently was a great bonus.
 Grade 4 ~ Terracotta Warriors
This project was not part of our regular school work, but something my DD wanted to do because we have been listening to The 39 Clues. There is a very exciting scene that takes place among the Terracotta Warriors, and she decided to learn more as well as create her own warrior.

 Grade 5 ~ Environmental Science
So much of what my DD did was outside - a trip to the pond, collecting samples, etc. - and of course I did not take one photo. She did write about the interconnectedness of humans and the environment, though it was more of a journal entry than a true essay. She is also checking the turning of the seasons by measuring shadows - in a few months we should have a really interesting log of the change in length as we have shorter and shorter days. 
 Grade 7 ~ Comparative Religion and The Scientific Method
My oldest DD has been busy!  This essay on Hinduism is just one of her essays for the week. She is a girl that loves to read and write, so last week was fun for her. She is also fine-tuning her ability to use the scientific method. I feel like it's one of those things we cover every year, but every year we add to it. She did a very simple experiment on gravity to refresh her memory on all the steps of the method before we dive into more complex work.



No comments:

Post a Comment