Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Home Economics

I admit - the idea of doing home economics when you're a homeschooler sounds, to me, a bit funny. Don't we live home economics? One might think so, but as I reflect upon what I wish to impart to my children I realize that I don't often teach them as much as I'd like in this area. My girls do all do their own laundry, and they do know how to cook or bake a few things (some better than others).  I sew and as such I've taught them the very basics of using a sewing machine, etc.  But in reality, it's usually easier for me to plan and make meals, do the bulk of the cleaning (though they definitely have chores!), make shopping lists, etc.  I think writing down some goals for the year will be helpful in ensuring that I do teach them what it takes to run a household because as we all know, there is far more to it than making brownies (I'm not saying brownies aren't important).  There is such a steep learning curve when you become the adult and the one (or one of two) responsible for "getting it all done."  I'd like to help my girls feel more prepared when they get there.  

Here is my preliminary list - I will be adding to it over the next few weeks and I cherish input!  And if you "do" home economics I would love to hear about how you organize the subject.  Once I figure out what my goals are, I'm going to break it down into a weekly checklist and further subdivide by age as my youngest and oldest have different ability levels.  I know myself, and if I don't have a checklist it probably won't get done!
  • Learn to devise daily/weekly cleaning schedule and plans for household cleanliness
  • Learn to really clean showers, tile, sinks, etc. (as opposed to their current "wipe it with a cloth" approach)
  • Learn meal-planning
  • Create grocery lists based on meal plans
  • Cook an entire meal, all courses
  • Understand basic clothing repair & demonstrate knowledge
  • Follow a simple pattern (clothing) and sew article with little help
  • Begin to learn household budgeting 
  • Learn about seasonal cleaning and help create a schedule
  • Learn about the importance of keeping clutter to a minimum - not just the stuff in plain sight but hidden clutter as well (closets, basements, garage, etc)
Oh - and if you have any great books, articles, etc., that you've used - either as part of homeschooling or just in general to run a household - I'd love to hear about them. 

3 comments:

  1. Have you heard of the Flylady? She has a fun system that my kids love. http://www.flylady.net/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list! This year, I'm teaching my son how to cook. I didn't even think about all the other aspects of home ec, so I'll probably swipe your ideas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughters were horrified to learn that there was more to home economics than cooking! I am teaching them how to iron and they are enjoying that. The sorting / spring cleaning, etc lessons not so much ;)

    ReplyDelete