Monday, August 8, 2011

What's in Your Mouth?

As all children do, my girls have been losing their baby teeth for a while now. Very recently, the girls became more excited by their teeth than they have before. Losing teeth is interesting in that there is no set schedule - kids lose teeth when the teeth are ready to fall out (or, as in the case of one of my daughters, her adult tooth comes up and the little one still refuses to budge so it is pulled). But there is no timetable, and as such all four of my girls have lost the exact same teeth. Yes, my 11-year-old and my 7-year-old are apparently on the same tooth trajectory - four down, sixteen to go.

This weekend, my oldest noticed another tooth is (finally) loose. This spurred the girls to discuss what they remembered about their teeth (which was actually a rather impressive amount compared to what I know about teeth), re-read some books we have (like Why Do My Teeth Fall Out?), and led my oldest to find a diagram of the mouth (complete with the names of all the teeth), print out a copy for each girl, and then have them black out which teeth they've lost.

I thought that was pretty smart. In fact, I wish I had thought of it earlier.

But I'm glad she did. Now they can keep track of which teeth they've lost, who has lost what, and where they stand with the tooth fairy (at $1 a pop, the tooth fairy is so far only out $16 - not bad). I'm thinking this would be a fun way for a parent to start off a unit about dental hygiene... especially if a loose tooth is involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment