Tuesday, March 29, 2011

From the Bookshelf

Some of what we're all reading this week..

Together, we are listening (and reading along!) to The Hobbit. Wow! What a great narrator to listen to as we drive around to various activities. I highly recommend this as an audiobook, even if you've read the story. It's been great fun! The only downside is that the kids are definitely too young to listen to the Lord of the Rings trilogy - that will have to wait.







DD6

 Frog and Toad Are Friends is one that she has read several times this week (after reading Grasshopper on the Road last week). And of course, she is still into anything and everything Junie B. Jones , which are not books that I particularly like but as we read many good books I feel like I can let it slide. ;)  She is also reading Explore Asia from the Explore the Continents series.












DD7



Ramona and Her Mother from the Ramona series is DD7's favorite this week. She is also reading Ribsy , which she told me she likes almost as much. It's a Beverly Cleary kind of week for her! I remember being in love with these books when I was her age.









DD7 & DD9
Both girls are reading Charlotte's Web and A Drop Around the World. The latter is such a fun story and really exemplifies the "life" of water quite well while at the same time providing a great picture of the differences in geography around the world.







DD9

 Miranda the Great is written by Eleanor Estes, one of my favorite authors of books for children, and is one of the books on DD9's nightstands. She is also reading The Apple and the Arrow by Conrad Buff, which tells the tale of William Tell and his son, Walter.  She also has a stack of American Girl doll books on her nightstand - I believe she is making her way through the Felicity stories.




  
DD10
DD10 has a pile of books on her nightstand that she is working through, but I will post just a few. The Good Master is book one of two by Kate Seredy and takes place in Hungary just before WWI. It is a complex story with much to offer and much for the reader to think about even after putting the book down. She is also reading The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which I love. I love the combination of art and written word working together to tell the tale. DD9 will read this next week and the local library is leading a discussion group for kids and Hugo is the selection. And tying into Hugo, she is reading The Picture History of Great Inventors which provides great information in an engaging way - especially for visual learners.












Mom


I am almost finished reading The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and I see why this book gets such fabulous reviews and is recommended reading for everyone. The only downside I can see is that the people that probably need the book the most are probably the least likely to read it, but that's outside my circle (inside joke for those that have read the book).  I am just getting started on Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So: A Memoirby Mark Vonnegut and it's too soon to say much about it - except that so far, so good. I'm reading this for a book group and I have to say that I believe it will make for a fascinating discussion!

1 comment:

  1. The Hobbit, The Good Master, Ramona, Frog and Toad and Miranda the Great are favourites here too!Isn't it great listening to The Hobbit on audio ? Fwiw, I allowed my dd to read LOTR way before she saw the movies.

    ReplyDelete