Friday, October 8, 2010

Window to the Soul

This week we are re-visiting an artist we learned about last year - Rene Magritte. I created a new biography page for their art portfolios and this time around, we talked more about the meaning behind surrealist works and discussed possible interpretations of certain of Magritte's painting. We had a similar discussion last year as well,  but I felt that we could have spent the entire year on the topic rather than an hour. I knew that by looking at the same artist again they would draw upon what they already knew to grow and develop new ideas. They didn't let me down. The level of insight, creativity and acumen children possess - however evanescent it may seem at times - never ceases to amaze me.




After our discussion and perusal of Magritte's work, we settled down to create our own Magritte-inspired pieces. Last year we completed the Magritte project found in Discovering Great Artists. This year, I turned once more to the fantastic blog Art Projects for Kids. What I enjoy most about this project is that although each child begins with the same blank circle, her unique vision and style is reflected in the end piece.

2 comments:

  1. You all do some fabulous art lessons. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! We really need to finish going through "Discovering Great Artists", but the movers have already picked up all of our things. Ahh, well. I'll make sure the ex-husband covers art once they get settled!

    ReplyDelete