Friday, October 1, 2010

Loving Literature

All of my girls love to read, which is great because I also love to read and it's something we can share together, whether it's snuggling up and reading a book aloud, or finding a quiet space where we can each read our own thing . This week was an overall hit with the different reading materials everyone's been working through.

I actually managed to read two books this week (hurray!). The first was The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan. It's been a long time since I've read another book by Amy Tan and it was time. While I wouldn't call this book my favorite of all time, it was definitely an interesting read and different enough from the last several novels I've read to hold my interest and draw me in.  The second book was Outcasts United by Warren St. John.  I read this for a discussion group, and while it isn't a book I'd normally pick up and read for fun I'm glad I read it. It reminded me somewhat of Three Cups of Tea but I liked it better. It tells the story of a small town in America which is made home to many refugees, the struggles that ensue between the town and the refugees, and the story of the woman who works to get through to kids that have been through more than any child should ever have to go through. It is set upon a backdrop of soccer (the international sport and therefore the international language in this book) and is quite compelling. Overall, I'd recommend both books to anyone looking for easy, enjoyable reads.

Here's a glimpse at what the kids were reading this week...

From the nightstand of my ten-year-old comes Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (my daughter could not have loved this book more - she told me that she wants all of her friends to read this book, too, so they can talk about it); Magic and Other Misdemeanors (The Sisters Grimm, Book 5)- another one she can't put down; and Journey by Patricia Maclachlan, which she also thoroughly enjoyed. She also read Love That Dog by Sharon Creech and said that while she liked it, she doesn't think it's for everyone.

My eight-year-old read Zucchini by Barbara Dana, a book I remember reading when I was her age; The Secret Soldier: The Story Of Deborah Sampson - a book she literally talked about for days (this kid is my nonfiction lover); and Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl in preparation for a book discussion group at our local library - she told me she loved the book and that it's one of the funniest books she's read in a long time.

My seven-year-old is re-reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for the second time. No explanation needed on that one. She also read Crackle Creek, a sweet story about a competition between two newspaper printing mice; and The Dragon's Child by Jenny Nimmo - this book she couldn't put down. She also read Tornado by Betsy Byars and says she would recommend it to a friend.

Lastly, my six-year-old independently read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff, The Little Houseby Virginia Burton, and Sara's Secret Hiding Place Paperback (one she did not enjoy). We read many books together, but her favorites this week were The Legend of the Bluebonnet by Tomie dePaola, The Wolf's Story: What Really Happened to Little Red Riding Hood by Toby Forward (a book she enjoyed, but not one of my favorites though the illustrations are interesting and offer a great discussion of perspective among other things), and The Amazing Bone by William Steig, a long-time favorite.

Happy Reading and Happy Weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Wow--what a family of readers! I'm glad your girls are enjoying some of my books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walk Two Moons is one of those special books, isn't it? I'm totally going to do a post like this of what we're all reading in one week. When you see it like that, it feels so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I find it fascinating to see what other homeschoolers are up to. Personally I love Tomie dePaola's books, both for content and the quality of his illustrations.

    Currently my 7yo son has been reading through our collection of Paddington books by Michael Bond. It never ceases to amaze me the uniqueness of homeschooled children. Having been raised unconventionally, they're more likely to think and develop "out-of-the-box".

    Keep these great posts coming!!

    ReplyDelete