Monday, July 26, 2010

Prepping for the 2010 -2011 Year!

It's here - the end of July! The time of year when I realize I do actually need to prepare for our new school year because no one is going to do it for me. We've had an exciting summer so far - lots of camping and hiking and kayaking and swimming... but now it's time to spend a few hours focused on school.

I'm hitting a few new hurdles this year:

1. I'm having surgery on Thursday. Nothing major, and hopefully I'll be fully recovered in two weeks. This complicates things a bit for me because (a) I won't have my usual energy to attack four grade levels of planning; and (b) I can't exercise and I use my running time to think and ponder, as well as blow off the inevitable steam and stress that come with planning a year in advance for the four kids.

2. My daughter re-broke her foot and broke her arm. You may wonder how this affects my planning, but believe me, it does. More stress, less energy to spend on planning. She can't "go out and play" like the others and that means more kids hanging around, which leads to more interruptions... you get the picture.

3. I believe it is time for my oldest, and perhaps all of the girls, to try a different approach to homeschooling. My oldest in particular because she is definitely in a new "stage" of development and I am trying to figure out what will be the best fit for her. And for the others, a better fit for ME. I feel that while things are going well, it's been a tad too parent intensive.

4. I really need to combine more. Last year went well, we accomplished what I set out to accomplish for the most part. I planned out 40 weeks of work in advance and that really helped keep us on track throughout the year, but I spent hours going "around the table" with my little ones. I need to find a way to combine even more. Classical is great, but VERY parent intensive. See above (#3).

That's it for now. I just need to find time to think things through and decide how I want to approach the upcoming year. The rest will be a piece of cake, right? ha ha ha...

No comments:

Post a Comment