Monday, May 10, 2010

Enough with the Assumptions

After five years of homeschooling you'd think I'd be over feeling bitter when people I don't know make assumptions about me. And I have to say that most days I am over it. But not every day. No, sometimes I get hit one too many times in a row. It happened today at a homeschooling get together. I talked to several different mothers, and five of them - FIVE - made sweeping generalizations that I found incredibly offensive, and they were speaking as if including me on "their side." Ugh. UGH. The most frustrating part is that I fear I do not handle these situations in the best way. I don't have some wonderfully smart remark ready; I don't tactfully, respectfully find a way to remedy the situation; I don't even act offended and defend my position. No. I am at a loss. Utterly confounded.

I don't even want a quick comeback, when I really think about it. I'd just prefer people not make assumptions about me. Though I'm guilty of it as well - apparently I foolishly assume people know enough not to make assumptions. Well, today was clearly a wake-up call on that front. And if I'm honest, I have to admit a small part of me wonders what it is about me that screams "assume I'm just like you!"

Oh well - I guess this means I've reached my "annoying conversations" quota for the month. Looking on the bright side, it's still relatively early in the month!

3 comments:

  1. Ah, assumptions. What is that phrase about "assume"? You (people) should never assume anything, because it makes an ass out of u and me? LOL

    Well, hopefully you won't have to deal with that again anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a few people talking about wanting a t-shirt which clearly marks the wearer as a secular homeschooler . . . there are a few . . . but maybe we need secular homeschool to have a t-shirt contest and a shop on cafe press? (of course, there I go, making sweeping assumptions of what you are and what the assumptions where)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mm, this is probably why i've never embraced the hs'ing group! ;^)

    ReplyDelete