Saturday, April 24, 2010

Prodigious Pollen

My loving husband sent flowers to my daughter and I to cheer us up (she from her broken foot, and I from my slipped disc). He sent a lovely bouquet of lilies. They are fresh, fragrant, and started to open up with vigor on Wednesday. Ironically, Wednesday was the worst allergy day of my life. Several of my girls also complained that their eyes were burning, their noses wouldn't stop running, and they felt sleepy and foggy. Actually, Wednesday was the worst allergy day of my life until Thursday and Friday. Today I finally put two-and-two together and realized it was the lilies causing the enormous reaction. I had no idea I was allergic to lilies. And in their defense, this is a terrible, horrendous allergy season on the East Coast, so it may possibly be that the lilies, in combination with they myriad of other allergens, simply tipped the scale.

Naturally, the idea of composting perfectly beautiful, still healthy cut-flowers isn't appealing, even if they do make me want to scratch my eyes out. I thought about putting them in the bedroom of one of the seemingly unaffected daughters, but then worried that perhaps she is affected but simply not as badly (until they are placed next to her bed). I finally decided on the music room (well, it's actually just the living room but because it is home to a piano, a set of drums, a guitar, a small violin and several wind instruments we've nicknamed it the music room). We do use this room, but in our open-concept house, it is the only room that could even remotely be considered separate. And while it is used during music practice, it is not used for much else. Perfect.

Now I just have to figure out where I can put my eyes until they stop burning & itching...

3 comments:

  1. After a few posts from my food allergy lists, I finally concluded that the upset stomach, headache and fatigue I've been having is probably cross-reaction to the horrible pollen this year, not a bad food sneaking in to my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, that's so disappointing that you can't enjoy the flowers your husband was so sweet as to send you. I hope everybody feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I just popped in from the secularhomeschool.com site. Also I'm friends with Wendy.
    Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Anet.
    Sad about the flowers! I love lavender, but it really makes me feel all stuffy and weird.
    By the way your header is so great!
    Hope everyone feels better soon:)

    ReplyDelete