Friday, March 19, 2010

Such a Tease....

You know the signs... a warm rush of air, the heat on your skin, breathing in delicious smells... it's the weather teasing you into believing that summer is just around the corner, when really it's only a sneak-preview and the cold air will be back before you know it. But I'll take in anyway, no complaints. Over 70 degrees, sunny skies, warm breezes. Perfection. So naturally the girls and I took an extended walk today (though instead of an early morning walk it was a mid-morning number) and ventured into the woods. They did squeeze in some school work before breakfast, but the rest of the morning was spent playing outdoors enjoying the sneak peek from Mother Nature. I know that this will end at some point on Sunday when the cold air comes back, bringing with it rain and cloudy skies. So we've sucked out as many minutes as possible this week to help last through the return of darker weather. I have to remind myself of the lesson taught by little Priscilla from Priscilla and the Pink Planet. Priscilla is sick of everything being pink and sets out on an adventure after a different colored butterfly. Her journey takes her to the ruler of the planet, the Queen. She shows the Queen, who loves pink and has turned everything pink, that pink actually appears even better when compared to all the other colors. The Queen realizes her error and restores the full spectrum of colors back to the planet. I can relate to the Queen - part of me would prefer an eternal autumn ... still warm, but not hot, with brilliant colors and delicious aromas filling the air. Or maybe spring before the heat of summer sets in. But I think of Priscilla and remember I wouldn't love the warmth so much without the cold...

1 comment:

  1. I swear, spring was my very favorite season when I lived in pennsylvania .. . but now that I live in Virginia, spring is the start of devestating allergies. I have learned to prefer fall.

    ReplyDelete