Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Looooong time...

Okay, so it's been a long time since I've posted, but I simply have to remember this moment. Two weeks ago I ordered Times Tales. My 8-year-old has been diagnosed with dyslexia and one trademark of dyslexia is having a hard time memorizing math facts. This could not be more true for my daughter. Times Tales has been recommended to me many times, but I finally purchased it when I saw the frustration mounting as we tried to move forward in math. This morning I had all four girls (including the 5-year-old) sit and do Part I.

WOW!

All four of them passed the test. They all memorized these multiplication facts in a short amount of time. My eldest already (supposedly) knows her facts but she still makes mistakes from time to time, and she takes for-ev-er to write them down. Not after this morning. My 5-year-old doesn't really get the "why" of 9 x 3 = 27, but she knows the fact (and many more) and, hey, we'll get there. And when we do, she'll be ahead because she'll have already memorized the facts. My 6- and 8-year-old (who are in the same place in their math work) are beginning multiplication and have a good grasp on the "why" but they were struggling with the memorization bit. They could both find the answer given manipulatives and the time to work it out, but now they know these facts, know them quickly, and actually (and anyone with a dyslexic child will really appreciate this) HAD FUN DOING MULTIPLICATION MEMORIZATION.

I am a believer! Hallelujah! (Can you see my hands up in the air?) Times Tales lives up to the hype. I can't wait to do Part II next week. For the remainder of this week we'll work on the division aspect of the facts and keep taking the practice tests.

I am just thrilled. My only regret is not ordering it sooner.

1 comment:

  1. We have been working on multiplication - I'm going to have to check this out. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete