Saturday, November 7, 2009

One Down, Three to Go...

Quarters that is. Yesterday marked the "official end" (I put that in quotes because there isn't an official anything; I just make things up to keep me honest) to our first quarter of homeschooling this year. Ten weeks in and I feel like we're just getting started. I mean that in a good way. It has been (for the most part) a very good school year. The girls are enjoying themselves, I'm enjoying the girls, there is lots of learning going on, we have a good balance with extra activities... enough said. Still feeling lost, however, when it comes to meaningful communities and friendships. Sigh. I guess you can't have everything.

To celebrate our progress, the girls and I went to lunch. Oh - and I let the older three skip oral reading for the day. I don't know which elicited a more excited response but they were a happy crew yesterday, and when I hinted that the celebrations for quarter ends would get better and better as the year goes on they about fainted from the anticipation. Now I have to come up something good in the next ten weeks for the end of the first half. Suggestions??

As we face the upcoming thirty weeks of school work, I only feel slightly nervous. For the most part, I feel confident that we will accomplish the goals I set out. However ... a little voice in the back of my head is reminding me that I haven't reached the midway point yet. Halfway through the school year (usually in January) I typically hit a wall. The wall consists of me being bored with the plans I made. I do finish things, but I get way off schedule and take too many breaks, etc., causing our school year to continue well into the summer OR for me to double up the workload each day leading to days that quickly become too long. Not fair to anyone involved. This year I'm determined to either (a) miss the wall completely; (b) climb over the wall; (c) punch my way through it and bypass the nonsense I've brought upon myself in previous years.

Here's to positive thinking!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. Well, in 10 weeks, it will be cold, right? The movies? Bowling? Some indoor fun place like Chuck E Cheese?

    It sounds like things are going well, and if things are going well, hopefully they will continue to throughout January!

    ReplyDelete