Thursday, November 5, 2009

Home Economics

I admit it. The food in our house is "weird." It's out there. It's definitely not part of the Standard American Diet. THANK GOODNESS. I am thrilled with that fact. I like that my kids (and I) don't have cereal out of a box for breakfast, unidentifiable animal products out of a can/box/package for lunch, and drive-thru for dinner. When I think about health and nutrition, I believe a big part of eating healthy is actually knowing what it is that you put in your mouth - whole, natural foods prepared in health-promoting ways. The following breakfast recipe is a break from that. While it's not "bad" for you it's certainly not up there on my list of healthy recipes due to the fact that it's mostly cornmeal and it's cooked with oil on a griddle. And once in a while I can live with that. Let me put it this way: I think that this recipe can be part of a healthy diet so long as you aren't eating this for breakfast every day and limit things like this to special mornings. Today was one of those days. Typically we reserve pancakes, skillets, etc., for the weekend but today I needed an extra kick to get me going. The following recipe evolved over time from several traditional recipes. For your eating pleasure, I present...

Cornmeal Pancakes

2 cups stoneground cornmeal
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (I actually only sprinkled in a dash)
1 1/2 cups soy milk + 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup canola oil
Ener-G egg replacer for 2 eggs (1 tablespoon + 4 tablespoons warm water)

Add apple cider vinegar to soy milk and let sit for 5 minutes (you're making vegan buttermilk). In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, rice flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well with a wire whisk. In a medium bowl, beat the soymilk mixture, water, oil, and prepared egg replacer with a whisk until well combined. Add to the cornmeal mixture and stir until smooth, but don't overmix. Heat your griddle over medium heat (300 - 350 degrees), and lightly oil (I use a Misto for this). Spoon about 1/4 cup of the batter for each pancake. Cook for about 3 minutes (until top begins to cook and bottoms are browned) and then flip. Cook for about 2 - 3 minutes more until second side is browned. Serve with vegan margarine, maple syrup, brown rice syrup ... whatever your fancy. And don't let the small size fool you - these boys are filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment