Sunday, October 25, 2009

Queen Bee

My nickname in the internet world is, rather obviously, Queen Bee. This refers to my position in my personal "hive" at home. Well, I was in the bookstore yesterday and the title of a book caught my eye: Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and Other Realities of Adolescence by Rosalind Wiseman. I looked up the book's definition of a "queen bee" and I was a tad emabarassed that I've been referring to myself as queen bee since the definition in that book isn't nearly as lovely as the one in my head (a mama bee working hard in her hive). Sheesh. I hadn't even thought of it like that. Then I wondered how I hadn't heard of this book. It turns out that this book was initially published back in 2002 when I was in the middle of the baby-bearing years and not thinking about girls in adolescence. It has since been updated and revised for the 2009 "girl world," as Wiseman calls it. It actually looks like an interesting book, and as I have four daughters I may well read it (though I'm hoping that because we homeschool my girls may be saved from some of the horrid nastiness Wiseman describes... or at least spared until they are older and better able to deal with it).

I thought about changing my virtual name, but have decided, "Nah - I don't care that much." Which is, of course, in keeping with the characteristics of Wiseman's queen bee who does what it is she wants to do.

1 comment:

  1. Mother Nature made the Queen Bee before that book was written, so I second your decision to stick with it!

    ReplyDelete