Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Our Morning Walk

I try to start most mornings with a "Morning Constitutional" (this should be said in a very deep, very serious voice - preferably with an uppercrust British accent). I take the girls on a short walk around our neighborhood. Sometimes we keep it very brief - just long enough to stretch our legs and say good morning to the birds. Other days we take the long route and may even venture into the woods. We love our walks, and the girls have told me that they don't feel right on the days we miss them.

And then there was our walk today. My youngest almost got hit by a car. Lovely way to start the day.

We live in a rural-style neighborhood. Aside from the obvious reasons (like the fact that the house behind us is a farm), I call it rural-style because (a) the houses are situated on larger lots (usually 1+ acre) and (b) there are no sidewalks. "B" causes me great anxiety on a good day. My children are not allowed to wander the neighborhood or walk to friends' houses without an adult. On our constitutionals, I make the girls walk in a line right along the edge of the road. If a car or truck comes along I ask them to step off of the road unless it is terribly muddy. I do this even though we sometimes go for a 30-minute walk and never see a moving vehicle. Today, as we rounded a curve in the road I spied two cars approaching, some distance apart. The first slowed down and gave us wide berth. Thank you, Considerate Driver. The second car did not slow down. And instead of heading away from us, the car actually seemed to angle closer to where we were walking. As I gave a warning to my children to step off the road, my youngest tripped - straight into the path of the oncoming vehicle. The car did not slow down. It continued to drive straight at us (and, I might add, not at all in keeping with the curve of the road). I literally yelled "STOP" and stepped out into the path of the car. The driver LOOKED UP FROM HER LAP (text-messaging? dialing a phone? searching in her bag?) and was obviously shocked to see us there. She braked and swerved, avoding us completely.

Disaster avoided.

I think we'll skip our walk tomorrow morning and let mom catch her breath...

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you and your youngest are OK. That is far too close a call.

    I can't stand idiot drivers. Grrr...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! How scary! We had a near miss in a parking lot with my 4 year old. Now we walk holding mommy's hands every time we are out of the yard. Every time.

    ReplyDelete