Friday, October 23, 2009

Is it over YET?!?

Okay, so Week Eight has - for lack of a better word - sucked. It hasn't been the kids or the work, it was just a busy week, too many late nights, too much going on. I feel like the week simultaneously dragged on forever yet flew by so quickly that we couldn't fit everything in. And technically, we still haven't fit everything in. We have not completed our labs for chemistry this week - we will either get to it right before dinner or it will be done this weekend.

So even though we managed to get to 99.9% of our work so far (it's 4:45pm on Friday) and didn't have any major meltdowns, why do I feel like this week just plain sucked?!?! I thought about it this afternoon and came up with one possible answer - as much as I don't usually have much time for myself (and I detest that fact), this week I had NO time to myself. No time to unwind, no time to relax. No time to recharge my old batteries. And I didn't work out as regularly as I normally do and therefore I think there were less endorphins floating around in my head. I really do need that stress release or something because I was not in a happy frame of mind all week long.

On a more positive note, here are some things we did accomplish despite being extra busy...
  • The oldest girls designed and made their own Scottish kilts (we were learning about Mary, Queen of Scots and James VI of Scotland)
  • The oldest girls also baked and served everyone Parkin cake (a tradition British cake - 75% of the kids enjoyed it)
  • All of the girls captured (then released) several enormous praying mantids - and managed to see them eating beetles (apparently they ate the head first each time)
  • My youngest finished the first stage of the Hooked on Phonics program and could not be more excited about reading
  • My oldest took it upon herself to come up with a ceremony for her girl scout troop; she designed, researched and presented it this week in honor of the founder's birthday (Happy 109th Juliette Low)
  • My 1st grader is breezing through her literature work and I had to move her up another grade
  • I managed to fit in making all the bread for the next two weeks - yippee! I hate to smell the fresh bread because it's the only time I really want to eat bread (I have Celiac) so I'm happier when I get a break from it!

I could write many more positive things, and just writing the few above I feel better already. Hmmm. Maybe I need to start a Homeschool Gratitude Journal... I'll have to think about that.

But how will I fit it in?!?!

Farewell Week Eight - only two more to go and we're done with the first quarter of our academic year. Wow.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry to hear your week sucked. :(

    I completely understand what you are saying. If I don't at least get 10 minutes of reading in bed after my son goes to sleep, or playing a video game or SOMETHING child-free, I don't feel like I've had a chance to wind down.

    Sure, I read at the playground while he runs and plays with other children, but most of the time, moms want to make small talk...

    It does sound like the kids had a great week! I love all those positives. I like the Homeschool Gratitude Journal idea. But, you're right - you do need time for you!

    Hope you get it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy!! I am giving more thought to dedicating some time each day to being grateful for the things homeschooling makes possible. In general I feel so fortunate to homeschool and I enjoy my kids so much... I need to focus on that more! =) Thanks for being so supportive!!

    ReplyDelete