Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Guilty Pleasures...

Phew - what a whirlwind the last few days have been! Busy, busy, busy. Busy with school, busy with housework, busy with meetings, swim team, lessons, practices, bills, etc., etc., etc. The list could probably fill an entire blog entry. Fortunately, I managed to squeeze in a few of my guilty pleasures to get me through the last few days.

Guilty Pleasure #1 - The Biggest Loser. I know, I know - it's a show on TV. And it's a "reality" show to boot. I am aware I just dropped several rungs, if not completely off, the ladder for most folks. I don't know why I like this show so much. It drives my husband nuts that I like it. Luckily for all involved, I don't usually get to watch it. Until the advent of ... trumpets sounding... Hulu.com. I did grab the initial two episodes but then missed all others. Until last night when I "hulu-ed" week three. Okay, it was a somewhat bum week to come back to the show because it was full of "game play" and other nonsense. Ugh. But, I have to say this about the show in general - it inspires me to keep working out when I feel tired because really, how can I complain when the contestants on that show keep it moving? What excuse could I possible come up that would work after seeing a 400+ pound person work harder than I've probably ever worked? And as a bonus, I am inspired to most definitely NOT overindulge in unhealthy foods. Not because of weight gain (though I don't enjoy that) but because I see what happens to these poor people when they get their medical reports. Ahhh! Please pass the carrot sticks...

Guilty Pleasure #2 - reading. I am that girl that always has her nose in a book. When I got in trouble in school it was typically for sneak-reading under my desk. I am still that way. So this week I worked some sneaky moves to grab a few extra pages. Love it. I finished three lovely little books since Monday. Go reading!

Guilty Pleasure #3 - framing. Yes, framing. After the incident with The Wind last week, I needed to reconfigure some art work. For the past two years I've had an unframed canvas precariously balancing on top of my cookbook bookcase in the kitchen. The thing has fallen countless times. I decided after the last time it wasn't going back up. At least not there. I took some other pieces in to be framed, and I moved another already framed piece to this location. The beauty of this artwork is that it can actually be secured to the wall. Hurray!

Guilty Pleasure #4 - taking a class. Tuesday night was the second in a series of five evenings in a class called Cakes for the Queen of Heaven offered through my fellowship (UU if you're wondering). The class aims to discuss the historical role of the female in religion and spirituality. I have enjoyed doing something for me, without any of my people. It's been interesting. I was an Anthropology major and I especially find the interactions between women in a group of women fascinating. Almost more so than the class itself.

Anyway, that's me getting through my beautiful but busy Week Seven!

1 comment:

  1. I think all of us have at least one "reality" show we like, whether we admit to it or not. I'm a sucker for all the "Rock of Love With Bret Michaels" shows and spin-offs.

    They started Cakes for the Queen of Heaven just as I had to leave my congregation to move here. :(

    ReplyDelete