Wednesday, August 19, 2009

When I Grow Up...

Our local newspaper is holding an essay contest. The directions are as follows: "In 200 words or less tell us about what you want to do with your life." My oldest had no interest in the contest despite the lure of a $50 Walmart gift card. But my younger three excitedly set to work writing their pieces. Here they are, from youngest to oldest. These made me laugh, and I hope you get a smile out of them as well.

Dictated by DD, age 5:
When I grow up I want to be a veterinarian. I want to help animals be happy. If an animal is sick I will help him. If there are animals that don't have a home I want to give them a home. I want to teach people to take care of their animals so they can be healthy. I like cats and dogs and beavers, but I can help all the animals.

Written by DD, age 6:
When I grow up I want to be an adventurer. It will be fun! I will be able to see the world and find great things. I will be able to camp out a lot. I will get to see lots of animals and lots of plants, and to kayak on lakes. Maybe I will be able to see plants and animals that people have never seen before, and to discover lots of birds and trees. These could help scientists learn more about our world. I cannot wait to start my adventure!

Written by DD, age 7:
When I grow up I want to be a dentist. I'm going to work in a shop in California. I will not let cavities get into someone's teeth. When I have a break, I'm going to go around the world to help kids who do not have dentists near their home. I'm going to show them how to clean their teeth and teach them how to fix a problem. I will give them toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss for a year. By doing this I hope they have a long, healthy life with clean teeth!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Doctors and scientists--looks like mommy will be well cared for in her old age! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are raising children who clearly have love and compassion for the other inhabitants of this planet. :)

    (I found you from the Secular Homeschool forum.)

    ReplyDelete