Monday, August 17, 2009

"No, we are not Moonies!"

While out running errands today, my children were asked "Are you ready to go back to school?" and "What school do you go to?" about 400 times. Okay, that may be a hyperbole, but it definitely felt that way. The girls even asked me why people kept asking them the same questions. These inquiries don't bother me - why should they? Most kids go to school and it's that time of year. No, what gets to me is the follow-up question I get 90% of the time after the asker finds out we homeschool (and that's not a hyperbole):

"You homeschool? What church do you go to?"

I am always at a loss when this is asked. Depending on (a) my mood and (b) who's asking, I either skirt the question completely or answer with extreme reluctance because my answer usually leads to major confusion and a lengthy discussion - we attend a UU fellowship and most people I run into do not know what Unitarian Universalist means or confuse it with the Unification Church and think we're Moonies. I sometimes wish to give a really flip answer and play up the Moonie bit, but I don't. I just sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Please don't use the word Moonie.. it hurts. It's derogatory. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete