Sunday, August 16, 2009

A New Outlook

I've decided to move our homeschool home base from our main-level study to the bonus room upstairs. I call it our "home base" because while I like to store my supplies and books in one room, and while I do like to start the day together in the same space, we often take our studies to different rooms, the outdoors, coffee or book shops, etc. But I find it helpful at the beginning and the end of the day to have everything in a central location. I also know that when the weather gets colder we tend to stay home more often, and the girls are still young enough that they like to stay together for long stretches at a time. There were days when we spent several hours in the study, and because it is a small room to start with it felt smaller and smaller with five people and every book, game, project, craft, toy, lego - you get the idea - that came off the shelf.

So we're getting a fresh outlook on things by moving upstairs to the playroom. The playroom will still remain a playroom to some extent with games, puzzles, the doll house, and so on, but it's had a minor facelift with the removal of the couch and end tables and the addition of several bookshelves, cork and dry erase boards, work tables and storage units. I'm still in the process of setting up and already I feel like I have a sunny, new perspective on the year. Call me crazy, but I think it's the yellow walls and light-colored furniture coupled with the extra space working on my senses. I can't wait to post pictures of the finished (or as finished as a play/school room can ever possible be) product.

No comments:

Post a Comment