Friday, August 21, 2009

Amusement Park Homeschool

Yesterday my family took a trip to a local-ish amusement park. After hours of riding on roller coasters, my youngest daughter pointed out that people don't fall off of the roller coasters because of gravity and because "they are moving so fast!" She then added, "Oh yeah, plus you're all strapped in and stuff." Her observations prompted my other daughters to begin asking more questions - mostly physics questions, but some related to the different types of harnesses and straps. So many questions, in fact, that today we hit the library and checked out several books plus a video on the history of and science behind roller coasters.

And I was afraid that the only remnant from yesterday's trip would be my roller-coaster-hangover-headache...

2 comments:

  1. gotta love those teacheable moments - those question-prompting things that happen. :)

    Have they tried roller coaster tycoon game? it is rather complex but really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of that! Going to look into it now... they are still talkin' 'coasters. =)

    ReplyDelete